Winogradsky column lab page!


File:Icons-flag-uk.png
Welcome to the Winogradsky column lab page! Students from the Departments of Biological Applications and Technology, University of Ioannina and Icthyology and Aquatic Environment, University of Thessaly, Greece and the Microbiology course, Faculty of Sciences, University of Cádiz, Spain, discuss their findings on Winogradsky columns they constructed!

If you want to add a post, please feel free to contact the blog administrators (Hera Karayanni, Sokratis Papaspyrou or Kostas Kormas)!



Καλωσορίσατε στη σελίδα των Winobloggers! Διαδικτυακός τόπος συνάντησης φοιτητών, φοιτητριών και διδασκόντων δύο Τμημάτων από την Ελλάδα: Tμήμα Βιολογικών Εφαρμογών και Τεχνολογιών, Παν/μιο Ιωαννίνων και Τμήμα Γεωπονίας, Ιχθυολογίας και Υδάτινου Περιβάλλοντος, Παν/μιο Θεσσαλίας και ενός από την Ισπανία: Σχολή Θετικών Επιστημών, Πανεπιστήμιο του Cadiz. Παρακολουθούμε, σχολιάζουμε, ρωτάμε, απαντάμε σχετικά με τα πειράματά μας, τις στήλες Winogradsky!


Bienvenidos a la pagina web de los Winobloggers! Aquí los estudiantes y profesores de dos departamentos griegos, el Departamento de Aplicaciones y Tecnologías Biológicas de la Universidad de Ioannina y el Departmento de Agricultura, Ictiología y Sistemas Acuáticos de la Universidad de Thessalia, junto con los estudiantes de Microbiología de la Facultad de Ciencias en la Universidad de Cádiz, se reúnen para observar, comentar, preguntar y responder a preguntas relacionadas con nuestro experimento, la columna Winogradsky.


Winogradksy columns

Winogradksy columns
'In the field of observation, chance only favors the prepared mind' Pasteur 1854

Blog posts

Tuesday 8 December 2015

Marialena Kafritsa University of Ioannina
 Winogradsky column
Here I present my data from Voidomatis river (23th October 2015) . In order to manufacture my Winogradsky column I used two bottles (1,5L). Both of my columns contain pieces of paper, 1 egg with its shell and baking powder. In one bottle I had extra sulfur source by adding vitamins. I use the column without the sulfur source as control in order to observe any changes with the addition of sulfur. Both of the columns are exposed to sunlight and room temperature.
This is the procedure I used to construct my winogradsky columns:
I took mud from the river and mixed it with my nutrients and placed into 1/3 of my bottle. In one bottle I added sulfur vitamin pills. The other 2/3 had mud without nutrients. Lastly in the rest of the bottle I added river water.

Here is a photo of the sulfur added bottle (day 1)




















And here are my columns after 36 days
 (Right bottle is control and left bottle is the one with the added sulfur)



The sediment in both columns seems a little darker and the river water is starting to get a little greener because of phytoplakton photosynthesis. There are no noticeable differences between the two bottles yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment